Spirometry Refresher Course
The RESPTREC® Spirometry Refresher course is intended for those who conduct spirometry and is a review of how to conduct quality spirometry in light of the Standardization of Spirometry 2019 Update - An Official American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society Technical Statement.
The content for this course focuses on the revisions in the 2019 ATS/ERS technical standards for spirometry relating to:
- Indications and Relative Contraindications
- Equipment Specifications
- Device Quality Assurance
- Operator Details
- Patient Details
- FEV1 and FVC Manoeuvre
- Manoeuvre Acceptability and Repeatability
- Bronchodilator Responsiveness Testing
- Grading the Quality of the Test Session
- Operator Feedback
Learning Objectives for this course include:
- Participants will be able to conduct quality spirometry meeting current international guidelines.
- Participants will demonstrate understanding of the revisions in the 2019 ATS/ERS technical standards for spirometry relating to equipment, quality control, patient instruction and conducting and evaluating spirometry manoeuvres.
Participants must meet at least one of the following entrance criteria:
- have successfully completed the RESPTREC® Spirometry Course or an equivalent accredited spirometry course, or
- have an RT or RRT designation, or
- have at least six months of clinical or research experience in conducting spirometry, or
- have other combinations of spirometry training and experience which will be reviewed on an individual basis
If there is a question regarding met criteria, acceptance to the program will be made on an individual basis and at the discretion of the RESPTREC® Management committee.
RESPTREC® gratefully acknowledges Dr. Brian Graham, PhD, lead author of the 2019 ATS/ERS Spirometry Standards, for his work in creating this course.
The hours invested in completing this course can be included in your continuing professional education learning portfolio.
Accredited Study Credits
The Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists
Title: Spirometry Refresher Course
Number of CEUs: 2
Date Accredited: 2021-08-10
Accreditation Expiry Date: 2023-08-10